OurSchool1 OurSchool5 OurSchool3
  
 

Our Story

History of the school

St Monica's Primary School was established in 1892 by the Sisters of Mercy. It consisted of a small lean-to at the back of the Sacristy. The first Pastor was Fr James Joseph Mahoney who supported the sisters in their work and guided the Parish through its first year.

In 1918 the first of the school buildings was erected, and in 1955 extra buildings were added.

By 1971, the school’s enrolment had increased to 475 and another building was erected to form the school site.

In 2010 a new building project has been completed and now St Monica's has a new state of the art Learning Centre, complete with electronic whiteboards, open learning areas, and new facilities.


Learning Structure at St Monica’s

The school is structured in stage groups, rather than year groups, to more effectively provide for the different learning needs and learning styles of each child.
                                                          

Early Stage One Kindergarten
Stage One Years 1 - 2
Stage Two Years 3 - 4
Stage Three Years 5 - 6

The children are grouped in a Homeroom for Administration, Roll Call and News Groups. In their Stage of Learning they participate in Religious Education; Human Society and Its Environment; Science and Technology; Creative and Practical Arts; and Personal Development, Health and Physical Education.

In English and Mathematics, the children are organised into smaller groups according to their level of learning, and their teacher may be their Homeroom Teacher or another teacher from the Learning Team, such as the Special Education Teacher/Librarian, Literacy Support Teacher, English as a Second Language Teacher or the Principal.

 
   
Hidden UpdatePanel, which is used to help with saving state when minimizing, moving and closing docks. This way the docks state is saved faster (no need to update the docking zones).